Vacancy: STEM Education Consultant
STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math) Education Consultant for USAID SMART LAB Program (Science, Math, Art, Engineering, and Technology)
I. Expected scope of work
The consultant will work closely with the New York Hall of Science (NYSci), Tufts University, Intel and SMART LAB Program Specialist to:
1. Prototype a series of STEM-driven design projects.
2. Develop STEM modules to be used for training by partner schools.
3. Train teachers in partner schools on STEM education.
4. Collaborate with Program Specialist and Communication Specialist on hosting conferences, workshops, competition, or other STEM related events.
5. Coordinate closely with SMART Experts on enhancing STEM education in schools
II. Duration and Location of work
The consultant will work for 60 days in the period of 6 months.
Jakarta based is preferred. The consultant will be able to work remotely upon approval of Project Director.
III. SMART LAB Program Overview
Universitas Siswa Bangsa Internasional (USBI) is an initiative of the Putera Sampoerna Foundation (PSF) whose vision is to become a sustainable, internationally-recognized university, inspired by the philosophy of the Putera Sampoerna Foundation, which will help to build a better future for Indonesia. Its mission is to educate future leaders who possess the distinctive USBI characteristics of leadership, entrepreneurship, and social responsibility, and are committed to giving back to Indonesian society through a lifelong engagement with the work of the Putera Sampoerna Foundation.
USBI has been running the three-year SMART LAB project funded by USAID. The SMART Lab project aims to establish four models of Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math (STEM)senior secondary schools and nest them as nodes in larger linked networks of partner schools working to improve their own STEM programming. It also aims to train 500 STEM teachers over the next three years who are able to prepare and inspire 10,000 students through individual and group experiences outside the classroom, and create a dynamic networks of partners and system engaged in a spectrum of knowledge discovery and transfer, development of sustainable feedback loops that advance the STEM agenda, and improve educator STEM literacy.
Consultants would be recruited from individuals already working in STEM industry, academics and those seeking advancement in STEM fields. They would be recognized experts in STEM fields with the determination to share and inspire others with their own passion for STEM subjects.
1. Masters degree from Science, Engineering, Technology, Math, Art or other related field
2. Preferably experienced around STEM education in school programs with international NGOs.
3. Previous exposure to STEM Education and/or worked as a consultant for USAID funded projects are preferred
4. Knowledge and skills in methods to promote improvements in STEM education
5. Proven ability to work in a multi-cultural team
V. Application submission instructions:
Interested applicants for the two positions listed above are requested to send a cover letter and resume in English to firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, October 18, 2013. Please write the position title in the subject line of the email.
No telephone inquiries. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis. Only qualified candidates will be contacted.
Institute for Social Development and Community Outreach
Universitas Siswa Bangsa International