The Nature Conservancy is a conservation organization working around the world to protect ecologically important lands and waters for nature and people.
Currently we are searching for a qualified candidate to fill the position of:
The Bupati of Berau established Program Steering Committee (SC) to oversee and direct the implementation of BFCP. The Steering Committee is directly led by the Vice Bupati of Berau and consists of key officials of the district government agencies, including the Berau Planning Agency (Bappeda of Berau) that has significant potential roles in coordinating the implementation of different BFCP strategies. The Steering Committee is also supported by director-level appointees from the National Planning Agency, and each of the Ministries of Foreign Affairs, Forestry, Environment, as well as the Assistant Governor of East Kalimantan. In the meantime, Emission Reduction Action Plan (RAD GRK) of East Kalimantan has been established in 2012 and it may be implemented in Berau.
The REDD Specialist serves as TNC Secondee to Bappeda of Berau and as one of the main focal points between The Nature Conservancy and Bappeda. S/he supports the Head of Bappeda in overseeing and managing various aspects of climate change related issues in Bappeda especially BFCP. Once the Secretariat of the SC is established, the REDD Specialist will also oversee and manage all aspects of the operations of the SC of BFCP. The REDD Specialist will ensure the support of SC Secretariat to facilitate TNCs work in the field and the integration of the TNCs work into the overall BFCP.
The REDD Specialist will report to Head of Bappeda Berau while maintaining regular communication with TNC, particularly the Berau Program Senior Manager, for work planning, coordination and administrative purposes. These may include one or more of the following functions:
· Provides technical and administrative support to the activities of the Steering Committee
· Assists the Steering Committee in formulating policy and strategic plan and monitoring program implementation
· Assists the Steering Committee in coordinating with relevant program stakeholders at district, provincial, national and international level
· Organizes SC and REDD+ Berau Working Group regular meetings
· Supports special meetings, such as VIP trips, learning exchanges, etc.
· Coordinates the implementation of other roles and functions of SC Secretariat, such as producing regular updates on BFCP, maintaining BFCP website, etc.
· Assists Bappeda in coordinating relevant government agencies in Berau in overseeing the implementation of BFCP strategies, through periodic coordination meetings and others
· Supports the formulation of RAD GRK of Berau, its implementation, and integration with current development planning
· Informs Bappeda on Development by Design and Strategic Environmental Assessment (KLHS)
· Develops key partnerships with public and private organizations in order to identify and resolve technical issues and to widely communicate solutions and liaises and collaborates closely with Forclime TC Module, Forclime FC Module, other organizations, or consultants engaged in the management of BFCP
· Engages local community support for local conservation efforts
· Develops innovative scientific methods, analyses, tools, and frameworks to address the natural system needs
· Ensures a smooth flow of information from the Conservancy and Bappeda of Berau and the effective use of the Conservancy-collected data, information, and maps to support the planning and management of Bappeda of Berau
Specific deliverables include:
· Actively engaged BFCP SC Secretariat that effectively coordinates and synergizes activities of BFCP stakeholders in Berau
· Arrangement of trainings for BAPPEDA and relevant SKPD on spatial analysis, watershed mechanisms and economics
· Formulation of RAD GRK of Berau, its implementation and integration with current development planning
· Arrangement of capacity building activities on carbon measurements, REL and emission reduction strategy
The REDD Specialist will report to the Head of Bappeda Berau and will have a dotted reporting line to Head of BFCP Steering Committee and the Berau Program Senior Manager. S/he will be based in Tanjung Redeb, Berau/East Kalimantan, Indonesia.
· BA/BS degree and 5 years experiences in conservation practice or equivalent combination of education and experience
· Experience managing complex or multiple projects, including managing finances and coordinating the work of other professionals and partners
· Experience in partnership development including national to local government partners, private sectors, community, etc.)
· Knowledge of current trends and strategies in REDD+ and conservation
· Knowledge of RAD GRK, SRAP of East Kalimantan, and low carbon development concept
· Knowledge of formal government planning documents including RPJMD, and strategic planning of SKPD
· Supervisory experience
· 5-7 years experience in forestry/regional planning or equivalent combination of education and experience
· Demonstrated experience influencing, developing and implementing conservation policy and plans
· Developing practical applications of scientific concepts and technical innovations for conservation purposes
· Knowledge of sustainable development planning, and low carbon development
· Knowledge of methods and standards of regional medium term development planning (RPJM) or other government planning documents
· Some knowledge of politics and society with respect to environmental affairs
· Managing time and diverse activities under deadlines while delivering quality results
· Communicating clearly via written, spoken, and graphical means in English and other relevant languages
· Demonstrated ability to work effectively with and through others in a decentralized and geographically dispersed organization
· Networking with medium to high-level conservation contacts
· Proven interpersonal, communication, and negotiation skills
· Computer literacy in MS Office: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook
Please send your CV and cover letter to email@example.com, not later than November 12, 2013. Please insert: REDD Specialist in your email subject.